Customer Service

Service Forms

To start or stop service at an existing location, inquire about a Property Closing Information Request Form, or request start service connection at a location/property currently without a water and/or wastewater (sewer) connection (also known as a TAP), please navigate to our online customer portal, My Utility Connect.

Just select your service location, download and submit.

Click here to go to My Utility Connect and get your forms.